1. EX-SENATE PRESIDENT, EBUTE WRITES BURATAI, NIGERIAN ARMY TROOPS ON THEIR GALLANTRY ON INSURGENCY WAR.
Third Republic Senate President, Ameh Ebute, on Tuesday, penned a touching letter to Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. T.Y Buratai and the Nigerian Army troops, saluting their gallantry and bravery in the war against insurgency. In the letter dated July 7th, titled ‘Letter of Gratitude and Garlands to an Outstanding Leader Hero and War Hero’, Senator Ebute said the nation is super proud of the COAS’ stewardship and devotion. Acknowledging the remarkable progress recorded in the last five years, the elder statesman, though, urged Lt. Gen. Buratai not to relent on his purposeful leadership that has turned the tide in the country’s favour. ” We are proud of your stewardship and devotion; much more the firm commitment of our soldiers in the defence of our territorial integrity and beloved country under your able leadership,” the letter reads in part.
2. NAF GRADUATES 82 CIS TECHNICIANS TO BOOST OPERATIONS.
The Nigerian Air Force has graduated another batch of intermediate and advanced Communication and Information System to boost operations. The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, while speaking at the graduation ceremony of the 82 personnel at the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), Kaduna, charged them to bring the skills acquired during their training to bear in enhancing the conduct of the NAF’s operations. The director, Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola said the intermediate Courses, which began six months ago, comprised the Airmen Electrical Electronics/Communication Course, Airmen Information Technology Course and Airmen Electrical Electronics/Radar Course, while the Advanced Courses, of three months duration, comprised Advanced Airmen Electrical Electronics/Communication Course, Advanced Airmen Information Technology Course and Advanced Airmen Electrical Electronics/Radar Course. Speaking further, the CAS noted that effective military communication was a key requirement for any successful military enterprise, including the projection of Air Power.
3. MILITARY PENSIONS BOARD SAYS NO DATE FIXED TO PAY THREE MONTHS ARREARS.
The Military Pensions Board (MPB) says no particular date has been fixed for the proposed payment of three months balance of arrears to pensioners. The Public Relations Officer of the board, Olayinka Lawal, made this known in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja. Mr Lawal, a flight lieutenant, was reacting to the rumour making the rounds in a section of the media that a specific date had been fixed for the proposed payment of the arrears to pensioners by the board. “The Military Pensions Board (MPB) wishes to inform our esteemed pensioners to disregard, in totality, the rumour making the rounds in the media that a specific date has been fixed for the proposed payment of three months balance of arrears to pensioners by the MPB. “For the avoidance of doubt, the MPB wishes to state unequivocally that no particular date has been fixed for the payment yet. “However, the Chairman of the board, Maj.-Gen. Ahmadu Adamu, and his team are working tirelessly and continuously liaising with appropriate agencies to ensure the prompt payment of the remaining three months of arrears, in furtherance of the Federal Government’s resolve to improve the welfare of military pensioners in the country. “Accordingly, the MPB hereby implores all military retirees to continue to support the board, as it continues to ensure that all the retired personnel of the Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) get their deserved entitlements,” he said.
4. ANTI-BANDITRY: CAS CHARGES PERSONNEL TO SUSTAIN ONSLAUGHT AGAINST ARMED BANDITS AS HE COMMISSIONS INFRASTRUCTURAL PROJECTS AT 271 NAF DETACHMENT BIRNIN GWARI .
The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, has commended personnel of the 271 Nigerian Air Force Detachment (271 NAF Det) Birnin Gwari, Kaduna State for the recent successes recorded against armed bandits and other criminal elements within their Area of Responsibility (AOR), including the neutralization of several armed bandits at Pole Waya along the Kaduna-Birnin Gwari Road the preceding night. The CAS however tasked them not to relent in their efforts but sustain the momentum of operations in order to restore peace to the affected areas, for inhabitants go about their normal businesses without fear. “I am happy to note that this Unit neutralized some bandits yesterday while carrying out its constitutionally assigned task. We must continue to fight until our beloved citizens are able to go about their daily activities and live freely. It is our obligation to professionally perform our roles to protect our dear Country from both terrorism and armed banditry”, the CAS said. Air Marshal Abubakar gave the commendation and charge today, 8 July 2020, while on an operational visit to Birnin Gwari where he also commissioned the newly constructed internal road network as well as a block of 20 x one bedroom transit accommodation for airmen, which is expected to pave way for the deployment of additional personnel to beef up the manpower disposition of the Unit.
5. VILLAGERS FLEE AS BANDITS RETALIATE MILITARY ONSLAUGHT.
About 5000 people from some villages across Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State are said to have fled their homes as bandits allegedly ransacked their communities in retaliation over the ongoing military onslaught in the area. Daily Trust reported that fighter jets have been bombarding suspected hideouts of the bandits in Kagara forest around Isa and Sabon Birni local government areas. Some of the bandits were said to have fled to nearby villages during the onslaught and later regrouped and attacked the other villages. Daily Trust learnt that the bandits killed six people, carted away yet to be ascertained number of livestock, and looted shops, but there was no report of an abduction. One of the fleeing villagers told Daily Trust that the communities affected were Bafarawa, Arune, Suruddudu, Sabon Gari Lugu, Tsillawa, Gwalama and Dan Adama villages, all in Isa Local Government Area. According to the villager, who pleaded not to be named, two persons were killed in Tsillawa and Suruddudu villages and three in Gebe village. He added that all the villages were now deserted as the inhabitants, estimated at about 5000, have fled to either Isa or Shinkafi town in Zamfara State, while others were staying with their relatives in other places. Another source revealed to our reporter that, “The air raid would have been more damaging on the bandits had there been ground troops to mop them up while fleeing the forest.
6. IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE KILLS SOLDIER, INJURES OTHERS DURING BOKO HARAM AMBUSH IN BORNO.
A Nigerian Army officer, Second Lieutenant Abdullahi Alhassan, has been killed by Improvised Explosive Device during an ambush by Boko Haram fighters along Maiduguri-Damaturu Road in Mainok. Two others sustained various degrees of injuries while a patrol vehicle conveying troops was badly damaged SaharaReporters gathered that the troops were returning from a rescue operation around 5:30pm on Monday when the vehicle stepped over the planted IED. Improvised explosive devices and ambushes continue to pose a major threat to soldiers fighting Boko Haram and ISWAP in Northern Nigeria. Months ago, two soldiers were killed by IED during an ambush by insurgents close to Buni Gari under Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State.
7. OPERATION HADARIN: OPERATION SAHEL SANITY REPEL ATTACK AND NEUTRALIZE SEVERAL BANDITS DURING THE ENCOUNTER IN BATSARI LGA OF KATSINA STATE.
The troops of Nigerian Army Super Camp 4 Faskari Operation SAHEL SANITY on 6 Jul 2020 received a distress call of the invassion of armed bandits in Yar Gamji town in Batsari LGA. The gallant troops who were just inducted into operation responded swiftly to the call. The troops engaged the criminals thereby neutralized 46 bandits in the encounter while others escaped with gunshot wounds. Troops of Op SAHEL SANITY are presently in exploitation phase and have dominated the general area with aggressive patrols. The general public is enjoined to disregard news making the rounds in some online media giving unsubstantiated and false information on the incident. The Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Tukur Yusufu Buratai congratulates the troops for their swift response and gallantry.
8. OPERATION LAFIYA DOLE LAND AND AIR COMPONENTS INFLICT CASUALTIES ON TERRORISTS AT GUBIO IN BORNO STATE.
Troops of Sector 3 and Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation LAFIYA DOLE have inflicted casualties on Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs)/Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) elements who attempted to breach Gubio Town in the Northern part of Borno State yesterday, 7 July 2020. Several terrorists were neutralized and a gun truck destroyed by the combined efforts of the land and air forces who overpowered the BHTs with their superior firepower. During the encounter, a Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft and fighter jets were scrambled to the location. The ISR aircraft spotted the terrorists in their gun trucks and vectored the jets to engage them, neutralizing one of the gun trucks and its occupants. The ISR aircraft continued to provide situational awareness as the ground troops engaged the terrorists on the ground, inflicting further casualties on the terrorists. The Military High Command commends Operation LAFIYA DOLE, urging them to intensify their offensives against the terrorists and all other enemies of our Country in the North East while working in concert with other security agencies and stakeholders.
9. BOKO HARAM LEADER, ABUBAKAR SHEKAU LOCATED, CHIBOK GIRLS CONVERT TO ISLAM.
All the remaining Chibok Girls in the custody of Boko Haram JAS faction have converted to Islam and changed their names permanently. This is to escape any chances of being identified and rescued from captivity by the Nigerian security and intelligence apparatus from jihadist remote camps in the Sambisa Forest – North East Nigeria. Impeccable sources with inside knowledge of the Al-Qaeda and ISIS linked Jihadist operations in the region confirmed that about 10 of the abducted Chibok secondary school girls currently camped at Garin-Maluma and Sabil-Huda had ‘voluntarily’ converted to Islam and selected new Muslim names. Converting to Islam requires a change of names but in the case of the Chibok girls, their identities have been changed entirely to prevent any planned identification and rescue mission from the Nigerian government. Some of the common Muslim names they selected for themselves include Maryam, Falmata, Zara, Rukkayya and Summayya among others.
10. EX ARMY GENERAL SEEKS N8.1BN FROM LAGOS STATE OVER ALLEGED UNLAWFUL SEIZURE OF PROPERTY .
A retired Major General of the Nigerian Army, Alhaji Abdul Rauf Tijjani has dragged the Lagos State Government and seven others before a Federal High Court in Abuja, challenging the alleged injustice perpetrated against him by officials of the State. The plaintiff is specifically challenging the alleged sabotage of the execution of a court judgment which returned his landed property in Lagos State to him after a period of unlawful seizure. In a fundamental human rights suit instituted in Abuja, the former army general prayed Justice Inyang Ekwo to order Lagos State Government and its Governor to pay him a cumulative compensation of N8 billion as damages for alleged injustice suffered in the hands of Lagos officials. In the suit with number FHC/ABJ/CS/690/2020, the plaintiff is also asking the judge to compel the National Judicial Council (NJC) to pay another sum of N100 million for alleged misconduct of a Federal High Court judge, Justice A. O. Faji during the hearing of his matter. In addition, the plaintiff also asked the court for an order for the trail of Justice Faji for allegedly perverting the course of justice in his case.
11. BOKO HARAM CONFIRMS LINK WITH TERROR GROUPS IN NIGER STATE IN NEW VIDEO, ASKS UNBELIEVERS TO REPENT.
The Abubakar Shekau’s faction of Boko Haram, Jama’atu Ahlussunnah Lidda’awati Wal Jihad, has released a new video and confirmed its link with the armed groups in Niger State that also operate in the North-West. According to HumAngle newspaper, the six minutes and five seconds video shows fully armed fighters speaking in Hausa, English and Kanuri. “Special greetings from your jihadi brethren in the Lake Chad Basin. Greetings to our leader Abu Muhammad Ibn Muhammad Abubakar Asshakawy. “My second message is for all of the Mujahideen, especially those close to us. We send you Islamic greetings.
12. I KNOW WHERE BOKO HARAM IS KEEPING LEAH SHARIBU – RENO OMOKRI
Reno Omokri, a former presidential aide during the administration of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, has refuted claims that he is making money from his campaigns to free Leah Sharibu. Omokri further stated that he has an idea of where the Boko Haram terrorist group is keeping Sharibu but he would not want to reveal the details because of the girl’s safety. He stated this in a video obtained by Naija News on Tuesday from his social media page during an interview with media personality, Daddy Freeze. It will be recalled Leah Sharibu was one of the girls kidnapped in 2018 by the Boko Haram terrorists from their school, Government Girls’ Science and Technical College (GGSTC), Dapchi, located in Yunusari Local Government area of Yobe State, in the northeast part of Nigeria. A few weeks later, most of the girls were released from captivity except some that died in the custody of the insurgents while Miss Sharibu was held back allegedly because of her Christian beliefs and refusal to deny Christ. Speaking in the video, Omokri accused the Muhammadu Buhari government of being responsible for spreading rumours of him receiving money for his efforts to free the kidnapped Leah Sharibu. Furthermore, Omokri who boasted that money is not his problem, offered a reward of N50 million to anyone who shows proof that he is receiving money or benefits from his #FreeLeahSharibu efforts. In his words, he gave about N2.7 million to Nigerians as palliative due to the COVID-19 lockdown. This online medium reports Leah Sharibu has been in Boko Haram captivity for over two years while the federal government has insisted that it is working towards getting her released and reunited with her family.